In Episode 64, Greg and Pam discuss heavy metal, TV time, and afterthought thumbs. They also review Leaflet #15 from Elizabeth Zimmermann’s “The Opinionated Knitter.”
We are Knitcrate Ambassadors! Are you the kind of knitter who would enjoy receiving a surprise package of yarn in the mail every month? Then you need to sign up for a Knitcrate subscription. Every month, you will receive a selection of curated yarn, a pattern specifically paired to use with the yarn, and a treat. Use code KD20 at checkout for 20% off your first package when you sign up for a subscription.
FiberCrafty’s independently owned shops are stocked with yarn, fiber, project bags, stitch markers and more. With filter terms specific to yarn and fiber, the ability to save favorites, and a secure checkout process, it’s better than a 24 hour fiber festival! For shop owners, our easy to use interface makes selling online easy. FiberCrafty is owned by one woman that has a crazy love of yarn and knitting. Greg’s favorite feature? Pants are optional. Shop for your next project at FiberCrafty.
Listen To The Episode
We would love to have YOU record and introduction to the show! You can find details in the Ravelry Group Pages.
- Greg is working on socks (project page) for himself. He is using a combination of techniques from several patterns: Hermione’s Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder, Fish Lips Kiss Heel by Sox Therapist, and Strie Socks, Toe Up by Lara Neel.
- Greg is also working on similar socks for his mom, but hasn’t bothered to create a project page for them yet.
- Greg is experimenting a friend’s pattern for a baby sweater, knit in pieces and seamed.
- Pam completed the layout for her daughter’s blanket. Now she can start joining! The pattern is Swirly Pop by Marken of the Hat and I. She used KnitPicks Chroma Worsted for the swirls and will use KnitPicks Mighty Stitch for the background.
- Pam worked on her Mohair Magic Kit Poncho. She got it from Kathy at Got My Goat. She recorded a review before she cast on!
- Pam worked on That Nice Stitch Cowl by Susan Ashcroft. She is using Tandem by Tahki Yarns.
- Pam worked on her CPCTC socks by Sarah Jordan and started the first gusset.
- Pam started a secret test crochet (sorry!) But, here is a tutorial to the Foundation Single Chain I mentioned.
- Pam finished the 2nd hat for her dad. She used 2 colors of the millspun Romeldale/CVM from Zephyr Creek Farm. She “designed” it and used a colorwork pattern (Skyline) from the AlterKnit Stitch Dictionary (affiliate link) by Andrea Rangel.
- Yank Your Yarn is a FiberCrafty shop that specializes in pop culture themed stitch markers! Save 10% through the end of July.
- The weekly FiberCrafty newsletter always has a list of current coupon codes! And other fun stuff. Pam writes it, it’s good. You should subscribe.
The Opinionated Knitter (affiliate link)
- We discussed Leaflet #15, pages 80-83 featuring the Mittens (with woven design and Curled-Tip Jogger’s Mittens. Next up, Leaflet #16, pages 84-87.
- This is the unspun Icelandic wool we keep bringing up.
- Heavy Metal Knitting Competition
- Using private notes on Ravelry
- Accessing the “customers” section for designers on Ravelry.
- Designers can set up special access for test knitters before a pattern is published on Ravelry, but I can’t find ocumentation about it. If you’re a designer, it’s on the “Testing” section of your pattern.
- Knitcrate has a new feature: the ability to select your color preferences to help influence the color of yarn you will get.
Current/Upcoming Unraveling Events
- Don’t forget our Elizabeth Zimmermann KAL! Have you made one of her patterns? Used a technique? Tell us about it!
- Greg is going to the Central Carolina Yarn Crawl, trying to hit all seven shops this weekend.
Upcoming Events Where You Might Find Us
- Pam & Greg will be giving a talk about Elizabeth Zimmermann at the Ol’ North State Knitting Guild on September 9 in Raleigh, NC.
Media We Love & TV Time
Affiliate Link Disclosures
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link to Craftsy, Cooperative Press, Amazon, or Knitcrate and subsequently make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission from the sale. You pay the same, and the commissions will help cover our podcasting expenses. Our opinions are always our own, and we’re never compensated to endorse any particular product or service.
Find us all over the Internet
- Subscribe in iTunes: The Unraveling Podcast
- Podcast RSS Feed: Unraveling Podcast
- Twitter: @UnravelingPod
- Facebook: Unraveling Podcast
- Instagram: @UnravelingPodcast
- Ravelry Group: Unraveling Podcast
- Greg is KnittingDaddy on Ravelry, @KnittingDaddy on Instagram, and also writes the KnittingDaddy blog.
- Pam is pammaher on Ravelry, @FiberCrafty and @pammaher on Instagram, and owner of the FiberCrafty marketplace.