In Episode 17, Greg and Joey talk about deep, dark secrets, center pull yarn, and soap.
- Special thanks to our sponsor: Coveted Yarn! Coveted Yarn is a local yarn shop in Gloucester, Massachusetts, and is an authorized dealer of our favorite knitting needles: Karbonz, by Knitter’s Pride. In addition to a great variety of widely distributed yarn, Coveted Yarn offers their own signature line of yarn — Flat Rocks Yarn, which is dyed by the shop owner’s sister. You can also find McPorter Farms knitting accessories and buttons at Coveted Yarn. World-wide shipping is available. Contact them via their website or at 1-978-282-8809 for more information and to place an order.
- We gave away a copy of the Take It Easy: Knits For Relaxing book from Knit Picks, along with enough yarn to knit Walk By The Seaside by Jessica Anderson. Thanks to Knit Picks and Jessica Anderson for providing the review and prize copies of the book and yarn!
- We gave away a copy of the Riley Rose Shawl by Jennifer Lassonde (aka BostonJen from the Down Cellar Studio podcast). Thanks to Jennifer Lassonde for the copy of the shawl to giveaway!
- We reviewed Unexpected Cables: Feminine Knitted Garments Featuring Modern Cable Knitting (affiliate link) by Heather Zoppetti (published by Interweave Press), and are excited to be giving away two copies of the book. See the giveaway thread in our Ravelry group for details. Thanks to Stitch Sprouts for providing the review and prize copies of the book!
- Prize Bin Additions
- Joey is working on a scarf for his son.
- Joey has started another pair of socks. He’s using a contrasting color for the toes, heels, and cuffs and Opal for the main body. He enjoys keeping his yarn in The Yarnit.
- April Showers Socks — Greg has finished these socks, except for the weaving in of ends and blocking (project page).
- Halcyarn socks — Greg is working on these. They’re so young he hasn’t even set up a project page for them.
- Voss Cowl — the colorwork cowl is working on. Also so young that he hasn’t set up a project page for it, either. He’s having some frustration with the color dominance in the colorwork and probalby should have worked through the Stripe Domination hat by Twinset Ellen first.
- Amplitude — this is Greg’s newest shawl design. It is currently benig test knit. You can follow the #AmplitudeShawl hashtag on Instagram to keep an eye on the test knitting. The pattern is scheduled for release on September 23, 2017.
- Ongoing Events
- Knitter’s Confessions: a safe place to confess your deepest, darkest knitting secret.
- County Fair KAL: enter your fiber-related crafts in your local fair, then enter them in our KAL.
- Actually Knitting PalKal: Greg’s Scrappy Sock Yarn Preemie Hat pattern counts for the KAL and so does Ellen’s Tunisian Crochet Paving Mitts pattern. June 15 – September 15
- Upcoming Events
- Georgia Fiber Fest — September 8-10 in Columbus, GA: Joey is 60% planning to attend.
- TV Time With Joey
- Joey’s Soap
- Strange Brew — the movie that taught Greg and Joey all their Canadian linguistics
- Star Trek: The Next Generation — it’s amazing the show was ever allowed to make more than the first two episodes.
- Seinfeld — George is crazy.
- Is Abe Vigoda Dead? — Greg mentioned that there was an essay hidden in the HTML source. Sadly, that essay appears to be gone.
- Polyamory Is Wrong T-Shirt (affiliate link)
- State Fair — Joey hasn’t seen this movie in a long time
Listen To the Episode
View this post on Instagram
And finished! (Except for weaving in ends and blocking.) I love these socks. Yarn is April Showers Dual Solid by @thefiberseed with Black Opal contrasts. Pattern is modified Strie by @laraneel from #SockArchitecture, with a #🐠👄😚👠 by @soxtherapist. #OperationSockDrawer #knitting #knittersofinstagram #socks
View this post on Instagram
I'm trying to decide whether to rip it out and start over, or to just switch dominance when I change the teal yarn for petrol after this motif. This is the Voss Cowl by Jeffrey Wall (cc: @the_yarn_guys). Stranded colorwork is so much fun. I fear, however, I am letting the wrong color be dominant. I'm letting the teal be dominant and it is definitely popping on top of the cream. That works fine on the checkerboard square, but I don't think it's right for the other squares. Or the borders. I probably should have worked the the new Stripe Domination pattern by @twinsetellen as a colorwork refresher and to really delve into the techniques before I started the cowl…. #knitting #knittersofinstagram #cowl #colorwork
View this post on Instagram
I'm excited to let the cat out of the bag for the name of my new shawl design: Amplitude. Thank you to everyone who volunteered to test knit — I just sent out information about they shawl to my test knitters and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have to say. Some of them might be posting progress pictures on Instagram — keep an eye on the #AmplitudeShawl hashtag if you want to stay up-to-date. If all goes well, this pattern should be available by the beginning of October. Stay tuned! 😎 #knitting #knittersofinstagram #designing #designersofinstagram
Affiliate Link Disclosures
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link to Craftsy, Cooperative Press, or Amazon and subsequently make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission from the sale. You pay the same, and the commissions will help cover our podcasting expenses. Our opinions are always our own, and we’re never compensated to endorse any particular product or service.
Find us all over the Internet
- Subscribe in iTunes: Unraveling with Greg and Joey
- Podcast RSS Feed: Unraveling Podcast
- Twitter: @UnravelingPod
- Facebook: Unraveling Podcast
- Instagram: @UnravelingPodcast
- Periscope: @UnravelingPodcast
- Ravelry Group: Unraveling Podcast
- Greg is KnittingDaddy on Ravelry, @KnittingDaddy on Instagram, and also writes the KnittingDaddy blog.
- Joey is joeygibson on Ravelry, @joeygibson on Instagram, and also writes Joey Gibson’s Blog.