In Episode 63, Greg and Pam discuss abandonment, yarn weight discrepancies and international commerce. They also review Leaflet #14 from Elizabeth Zimmermann’s “The Opinionated Knitter.”
Special thanks to Knits4Comfort Jen for this episode’s introduction!
We are Knitcrate Ambassadors! Are you the kind of knitter who would enjoy receiving a surprise package of yarn in the mail every month? Then you need to sign up for a Knitcrate subscription. Every month, you will receive a selection of curated yarn, a pattern specifically paired to use with the yarn, and a treat. Use code KD20 at checkout for 20% off your first package when you sign up for a subscription.
FiberCrafty’s independently owned shops are stocked with yarn, fiber, project bags, stitch markers and more. With filter terms specific to yarn and fiber, the ability to save favorites, and a secure checkout process, it’s better than a 24 hour fiber festival! For shop owners, our easy to use interface makes selling online easy. FiberCrafty is owned by one woman that has a crazy love of yarn and knitting. Greg’s favorite feature? Pants are optional. Shop for your next project at FiberCrafty.
Listen To The Episode
We would love to have YOU record and introduction to the show! You can find details in the Ravelry Group Pages.
- Greg has been knitting prototypes for future designs.
- Greg cast on socks (project page)! He is using a combination of techniques from several patterns: Hermione’s Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder, Fish Lips Kiss Heel by Sox Therapist, and Strie Socks, Toe Up by Lara Neel.
- Greg picked up an Origami Project Bag from Stitch Therapy when he was at the Blue Ridge Fiber Fest.
- Greg picked up a set of Suavest Sheep bobbins from Crafty Flutterby Creations.
- Pam started figuring out how to make the background and join the parts on her crocheted blanket. The pattern is Swirly Pop by Marken of the Hat and I. She used KnitPicks Chroma Worsted for the swirls and is using KnitPicks Mighty Stitch for the background.
- Pam cast on her Mohair Magic Kit Poncho. She got it from Kathy at Got My Goat. She recorded a review before she cast on!
- Pam cast on That Nice Stitch Cowl by Susan Ashcroft. She is using Tandem by Tahki Yarns.
- Pam worked on her CPCTC socks by Sarah Jordan and is ready to start the heels.
- Pam finished a secret test knit for KnittingDaddy Designs.
- Pam finished a hat for her dad. She is using 2 colors of the millspun Romeldale/CVM from Zephyr Creek Farm. She “designed” it and used a colorwork pattern (Skyline) from the AlterKnit Stitch Dictionary (affiliate link) by Andrea Rangel.
- Instead of highlighting a shop, Pam talked a little about why FiberCrafty can only support US based shops for now.
- The weekly FiberCrafty newsletter always has a list of current coupon codes! And other fun stuff. Pam writes it, it’s good. You should subscribe.
The Opinionated Knitter (affiliate link)
- We discussed Leaflet #14, pages 76-79 featuring the Icelandic Yoke Sweater. Next up, Leaflet #15, pages 80-83.
Current/Upcoming Unraveling Events
- Don’t forget our Elizabeth Zimmermann KAL! Have you made one of her patterns? Used a technique? Tell us about it!
Upcoming Events Where You Might Find Us
- Carolina FiberFest is accepting workshop proposals. The deadline is July 15. We are very interested in workshops that are appropriate for youth and adults!
- Pam & Greg will be giving a talk about Elizabeth Zimmermann at the Ol’ North State Knitting Guild on September 9 in Raleigh, NC.
Media We Love
- Vogue Knitting Knitterviews Podcast
- Good Omens on Amazon Prime
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman – Pam listened to the 10th edition audio version from the library.
- Blog Post about Phyllis Latour Doyle
View this post on Instagram
Hanging out at the @blue_ridge_fiberfest with @fibercrafty Pam and @drknittykate Kate! It may be a little rainy, but spirits are high! Yarn, fiber, tools, etc. are everywhere. We watched sheep sheering. I’m putting this on my list as a go-to for next year! #knitting #knittersofinstagram #blueridgefiberfest #unravelingpodcast
View this post on Instagram
I am so excited about my 3 Zippered Bag from Karen. She found delightful baseball fabric for me and made a custom bag. Check out her @fibercrafty shop at cottontimes.fibercrafty.com to see what she’s got. I’m still deciding what I’m going to fill this with. I think I’ll use it as a combination project/tool bag. It would make a good toiletry kit, too. #knitting #knittersofinstagram #projectbags
View this post on Instagram
Last week I was with my family at the beach. We had a lovely time and of course I knit a lot! I finished a test knit for @knittingdaddy, knit while my husband and son fished (I’m the only one that went home with something), climbed the Oak Island Lighthouse, made friends with a hitchhiking frog and a moth or butterfly (sorry not sure which!)
Affiliate Link Disclosures
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link to Craftsy, Cooperative Press, Amazon, or Knitcrate and subsequently make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission from the sale. You pay the same, and the commissions will help cover our podcasting expenses. Our opinions are always our own, and we’re never compensated to endorse any particular product or service.
Find us all over the Internet
- Subscribe in iTunes: The Unraveling Podcast
- Podcast RSS Feed: Unraveling Podcast
- Twitter: @UnravelingPod
- Facebook: Unraveling Podcast
- Instagram: @UnravelingPodcast
- Ravelry Group: Unraveling Podcast
- Greg is KnittingDaddy on Ravelry, @KnittingDaddy on Instagram, and also writes the KnittingDaddy blog.
- Pam is pammaher on Ravelry, @FiberCrafty and @pammaher on Instagram, and owner of the FiberCrafty marketplace.